Monday, July 13, 2009

Northern Peru and Ecuador

Ok so I don´t have a lot to say about this part of my trip and honestly I´m getting kind of bored writing this. So I´ll do a quick summary. After Machu Pichhu I went back to Cusco for a few hours then took an overnight bus to Lima. Lima was kind of shocking for me because it was the first time I had been in such a developed, huge and westernized city since I left Buenos Aires. Just seeing all the new cars was weird. But I did get to go to Starbucks (I´m bad, I know). Only stayed one night in Lima then did a 18 hour bus ride to the border with Ecuador. Met a really nice Peruvian guy (but who had been living in Europe for the past 15 years) on the bus named Carlos. We helped each other out crossing the border (which is a bit tricky between Peru and Ecuador) and then decided to go to Cuenca together. Cuenca, Ecuador ended up being a small town reminiscent of Sucre, Bolivia. The best part was that there was some sort of festival going on so each evening the main square was filled to the brim with booths of people selling all kinds of sweets and chocolates. I was in heaven!! The street food was good too and on our last night there was a big fireworks show. From there we headed to Quito, Ecuador (the capital). I didn´t like Quito at all. For me it was just a big, dirty and unsafe city that didn´t hold any appeal. Here Carlos met up with a friend and I left the day after I arrived. From Quito I bussed to the Colombian border (in total it takes about 20 hours in bus to cross Ecuador).

No comments:

Post a Comment