Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Cusco, Peru

From Copacabana I bussed it with the Argentines to Cusco, Peru. First we took a small run-down bus from Bolivia, crossed the border (easiest border crossing I´ve experienced) then arrived in Puno, Peru about 3 hours later. Here we had a small break and then boarded a large normal long distance bus for the rest of the trip to Cusco. I decided that I really don´t like long bus trips during the day because they tend to be more uncomfortable and I feel like I´m wasting a lot of time. And night busses are great cuz I just watch a movie, taking a sleeping pill and then wake up in the next place. Plus I save money not paying for sleeping accomodations that night. Anyways, we got to Cusco in the evening and checked into a hostel called The Point, another larger party hostel (but this time I picked it). The hostel was really nice with a big screen tv, bar, outside area with hamnocks, amazing showers and comfortable beds. The first night we got dinner at a nicer resturant and even though it was a bit pricy it was worth it for the delicious tuna melt I had.

Cusco at night is absolutely beautiful. The main Plaza is called Plaza Armada and is surrounded by nice boutiques squished inbetween these massive anciant churches. The churches are very impressive and at night are lit up beautifully. In the center of the plaza is a grassy area with a big fountian, benches, flowers and lots of Cusco flags (they are striped with a bunch of colors - kind of like the gay pride flags). In addition to the botiques there are also a bunch of resturants and tourist offices. And each one has at least one person out front trying to convince you to come in and try this plate or take that trip. Also, there are a ton of ladies trying to sell massages and pedicures. Of course they are targeting the mainly English speaking tourists so its pretty funny how they use broken English to sell stuff. Ok maybe I shouldn´t laugh but wait til you hear an impression of them. Haha.

The rest of Cusco was similar to Sucre, lots of Spanish architecture, cobble stone streets and hills in every direction. The weird thing tho was the massive amount of tourists. Almost everyone comes to Peru to see Machu Picchu and almost everyone stays in Cusco before or after Machu Picchu. Especially around the main plaza it felt like there were as many tourists as locals. I noticed that there were two types of tourists. The young tourist about 20-30, traveling alone or in a group of 3 or 5, dressed in trekking shoes, striped pajama pants (purchased in Cusco) or jeans and a sweater made of Alpaca (plus maybe a hat of Alpaca or a bright/bag purse thing. Then there is the old tourist. Always white (mostly European) dressed in trekking shoes, kaki pants, neutral colored t-shirt, kaki safari vest, large hi-tech camera, walking stick and safari hat or ball cap. Always in large groups and generally with a guide. Part of me found it funny but the other part of me was really weirded out cuz I´ve never seen so many tourists in one place - let alone so many tourists that stick out as much as in Cusco. Of course, I must add that I definitely fit into the first category myself unfortunatly.

No comments:

Post a Comment