Tuesday, June 16, 2009

My Adventures in Cusco

I found that I really liked Cusco - the vibe, the city, the people - which worked out well because the whole Machu Picchu trip required me to spend a bit of time in Cusco figuring things out. I spent quite a bit of time with the Argentines shopping, exploring the city, eating and going out. I did eat at McDonalds which was quite tasty (better than in the US but same as BsAs). One of the nights we went out to a little french resturant in the barrio (neighborhood) of San Blas - kinda like San Telmo in BsAs. After we went out to a bar called 7 Angelitos (seven little angles). The owner was argentine (as were quite a few of the other drinkers when we arrived) and he made the most excellent mojitos. I don´t think I´ve ever had one as tasty as the ones he made. A bit later there was a punk/ska/rock band that played which ended up being really good. They played a good mix of covers (from US, Latin America and Europe) as well as their own stuff. Turned out to be a pretty big night out but it was so so fun.

The next day I went bungee jumping (not the best idea when you´re hung over but I survived). It was a place about 15 minutes outside Cusco. Basically they strapped my ankles into the bungee and also used attatchements around my waist and shoulders. Then I climbed into a yellow box cage thing and got hoisted about 105 meteres into the air. Going up I felt ok, just a little nervous. But to actually jump you have to walk out onto this little plank and then dive off. Ahhh for me it was way scarier than jumping out of a plane. I was kinda dissapointed tho cuz after the terrifying dive its just a short fall, a violent jerk and a little bit of bouncing around. But it was fun and exciting and I am glad I did it. Unfortunatly on the bumpy cab ride back to town my tummy was really unhappy with my drinking, eating and physical activities (but I kept it under control).

Other interesting things in Cusco were the market and the parades. The central market in Cusco was a lot like the one in Sucre. Fruit, veggies, meat, cheese, bread, sweets, furniture, meals and artisan things. For one meal I went there to try the Peruvian dish ceviche which is rice and salad and some kind of raw fish with lemon juice. Have to say I wasnt a big fan of it but maybe it would have been beter on the coast. Guess I will have to give it another go when I am in Lima. Also, I got to see a ton of parades. I cant remember the reasons for all of them but the best one I saw on my last day in Cusco. It was a celebration for the 100 year aniversary of a school and it proceeded from the school, around the Plaza Armanda and on to somewhere else. The best part was that all the little kids were dressed up and participating. There were older kids playing drums and other musical insturments as well as little adroable children dressed up in traditional dress dancing around with teachers trying to keep them focused on the parade. I loved it! Seriously tho, Bolivian and Peruvian babies and little kids are some of the cutest I think I have seen.

From Cusco I headed to the most famous place in Peru, the Inca ruins of Machu Picchu.

No comments:

Post a Comment